Pages

Search This Blog

RECOMMEND THIS BLOG TO FRIENDS!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

DESIGNER VINTAGE JEWELRY: HOBE, KRAMER, REGENCY, TRIFARI


Designer vintage jewelry is fascinating to study. It's so rich in designs and variations. And some of it commands such huge prices even though it's half a century or more older. This past week at Ebay has been busy with auctions on designer vintage pieces. One I missed out on and really wanted to get ( I was asleep when it finished...grrrr) was this exquisite red rhinestone bracelet & necklace set by Kramer shown above. What a magnificent demi! Shown below is a closeup of the stones. The color is fantastic. The entire set looks so rich. I really envy the lucky bidder who won this set for a mere $86 US!

Another glittery vintage set that went this week was by Trifari. I never realized when I first heard of Trifari that many of his designs were indeed glitzy with rhinestones. I was more familiar with his gold-toned modernistic pieces. But just look at this necklace below:

It's made of sapphire-colored and clear crystals and sprays out in a dazzling display of icicle-like one-inch long spokes. It's worn choker style. It would look superb with a strapless gown and all eyes would be on the necklace before the gown, that's for sure. It sold for $455 US!

I watched 2 other pieces this week. One was the unusual necklace by Hobe shown on the left. While it's not my cup of tea ... a bit too gaudy for my liking (but so is the Trifari above LOL!) someone like it enough to pay $167.50US for it.
I must admit, when you look at it closely, you can't help but admire the craftsmanship, the unusual use of various styles and colors of stones. What an eye some of these vintage designers had, somehow knowing a combination like this would work and still be desired decades after it was made!



The other auction I paid attention to this week was for the 3-piece set of matching jewelry by
Regency shown on the right. This is an odd set in that it looks to me like all pieces are from one set but it consists of two bracelets, one larger and wider, the other smaller and daintier. Perhaps the original owner came across a bracelet/earring set and later found the same color combination in yet another bracelet. Nothing like variety is there. Anyway, this Regency set of jewelry had 22 bids on it and went for $144 US ... all of which proves what I've been saying all along in this blog: designer vintage jewelry, especially if it's signed and in good to excellent condition, is a valuable investment!

6 comments:

peanutgallery said...

why do you feel the need to make ill-mannered comments on what other people find attractive...
as per your comment...not verbatim...
someone spent x amount of dollars on this necklace...LOL...too gaudy for my taste... are you an artist or a jewelry designer... please stop insulting people... we are not clones... and you are not the model clone...

CRUISEROO said...

Thanks for commenting. I do not feel my comment is ill-manntered: it's merely honest. We each have different tastes. If I find a piece gaudy, that's how I see it. To someone else it's beautiful and that's perfectly okay by me. To each his own. It's the differences in people and their tastes that make this whole subject fascinating. I feel though, in fairness, you too shouldn't quote out of context. If you were to quote the rest of the paragraph in which I made my "ill-mannered" assessment, you would see I also praised the designer and workmanship. I merely present things as I personally see them. For everyone who disagrees with me, there'll be others who agree. That's just fine. It's got nothing to do with "clones". What's that got to do with any of this?

rhinestoneflower said...

hi, thanks peanutgallery... i bought that necklace... yes and i am an artist and a designer and a painter... and a bookjacket designer... and a photograher. if you have a long slender neck... it looks quite beautiful ...worn with a simple garment... or nothing but a pair of sexy panties and heels...i was quite offended to read cruiseroo's comment about it being a gaudy trifari necklace... sorry..i just can't help myself in writing this. i read that comment years ago and it still stings. CRUISEROO you could never carry this necklace off... you look matronly and probably have a fat neck. of course this is just my opinion... and i just comment on things as i personally see them. to someone else you might look beautiful... but you sure don't to me... inside or out.

Viga Boland said...

Wow ... after 5 years! long time to carry a grudge. I bet you'd think I wouldn't print your second criticism, and I did toss up whether I should bother as i haven't dealt in costume jewelry in years, though I still admire it and the artists that created it. Given how accomplished you are, I wouid have expected you also read carefully. If you did, you would have read further to see how I praised this piece's workmanship and all the vintage designers. Fat necks or thin (and all presumptions are false, by the way...I don't have a fat neck at all) you say you comment on things as you personally see them. Well I have that same right and I called it as I saw it. Just because I don't like a piece of jewelry you think is beautiful is a pretty shallow way to assess another person's beauty.

EVJ said...

Wow...It never ceases to amaze me that there are those who will go out of their way to make rude comments. I ran across this blog by accident when looking for pieces of Kramer while trying to date it. Keeping a blog and trying to offer informed 'articles' about vintage jewelry takes time. I applaud anyone who takes that time. It helps people like me to find additional pieces, date them, etc. I run across things I don't necessarily appreciate, but I just move along. I think we have a real problem with etiquette nowadays. I didn't see anything wrong with what you posted. Wow, can we not even have an opinion??? I really don't know why you left the comments up. I would have taken them down. They offer no value and speaking from the position of a viewer/reader it just leaves me with a bad feeling about how people can act.

Thanks for taking the time to post these photos and your comments.

Viga Boland said...

Thanks for your support EVJ. Don't know why I left it there but I guess I figured I'd just let others draw their own conclusions. Freedom of speech...even if I don't like what they say. I'm more offended by how they say it.