Pages

Search This Blog

RECOMMEND THIS BLOG TO FRIENDS!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

MIRIAM HASKELL ALWAYS IN DEMAND



So I missed adding something yesterday. That's because I was tied up all day shifting two of my most important websites to another server. What a job! The one at VINTAGE JEWELRY SHOWCASE went smoothly, but in shifting SHERMAN JEWELRY SHOWCASE I decided to use an alternate name and url I own i.e. SHERMAN JEWELLERY SHOWCASE and now poof, no-one can find my original Sherman site ... though they're both the same. Argghhh! What a way to slow down traffic and lose ground in the search engines. Not to mention I then had to change all the email addresses and links that were pointing to the wrong place. I hate shifting websites ... and I have several more to move. Why do I do this to myself!

Anyway, today I want to talk about vintage designer, Miriam Haskell. Talk about popular! I've been watching eBay auctions for Haskell jewelry and well, the winning bids are often incredibly high. Of course, that depends on what kind of Miriam Haskell one is selling. Her most popular pieces seem to be those made with the baroque pearls she is famous for, and if they come in a set, then expect to pay big dollars. Mind you, that's true of most vintage designers with a following: a designer-signed single necklace or brooch will fetch a good price but if it comes with other pieces, ie. necklace & earrings, brooch and earrings (2-piece sets are called a DEMI) or if has 3 pieces, say a bracelet (3-pieces are a PARURE), then watch the value skyrocket.


I recently sold the one shown in the photos here to a customer in the US. She wore it to a wedding and one of her friends immediately asked to buy it. No wonder! It's an exquisite Haskell. My client said she wanted to wear it a few more times before selling it but her friend would have to pay $1000! And you know what, she could probably get that dollar. That's because it's not just beautiful: it's a full parure and all pieces are signed "Miriam Haskell". Look for them where you can. Just make sure it's an authentic Haskell. There so many fakes going around now and in a future post, I'll tell you how I got caught, not just on a Haskell, but also on some Schiaparelli. Bottom line is there's a wealth of information on the net on how to spot fakes and what constitutes an authentic Haskell or Sherman or Schiaparelli etc. Make sure you know what to look for and you won't get caught as I did. But that's for another day.

No comments: