Pages

Search This Blog

RECOMMEND THIS BLOG TO FRIENDS!

Friday, May 16, 2008

JEWELRY by GUSTAVE SHERMAN


Some years back, I attended a garage sale. I was hunting for gold rings, bracelets, that kind of jewelry. Tucked away under the garage itself was a lady with 2 huge glassed display cases, in which she had some gold and some of the most spectacular vintage rhinestone and swarovski crystal necklaces, brooches and bracelets I'd ever seen. They were absolutely gorgeous and they were all 40 - 60 years old, or older, and were the designs of Canadian vintage designer, Gustave Sherman. That day my love affair with designer vintage jewelry, especially Sherman, began.

The stunning 3-piece set in the photo above consists of bracelet, necklace and earrings. The color is an magnificent blue/purple, primarily purple. If you click the photo above, you can see more and larger views of this parure, which is now sold, but a wonderful example of Sherman's work. Colors like this are rare and sought after, so if you come across a Sherman, especially a signed one, in purples or fuschia or red, snap it up. You'll have a collector's item that everyone wants and which will command a high price if you ever decide to sell it.

It's actually fascinating to see the range of prices for Sherman Jewelry. At my website at SHERMAN JEWELRY SHOWCASE, you'll find more reasonable prices for pieces by Sherman. But on other sites, including even eBay, you'll find Sherman pieces going for several thousand dollars. As my daughter once enviously said to me "I can't believe you can get more for that old jewelry than I can get for a diamond ring!". This is true of designer vintage jewelry, and not just Sherman. In the US, jewelry by Schiaparelli, Schreiner, Miriam Haskell and many others can fetch a huge dollar. You can learn more about buying, collecting and caring for vintage jewelry on my other site at DESIGNER VINTAGE JEWELRY where I also welcome contributions from those experienced in and familiar with this fascinating field.

No comments: